Tuesday, September 24, 2013

How I was Inspired with the Love of a Dog

How I was Inspired with the Love of a Dog.
September 24, 2013
God must love animals
Some of my dearest friends have four legs. Horses, donkeys, dogs and cats have been a big part of my life and have found refuge at our farm. 
A few years ago a small puppy came to our home. He had been left as an orphan by a neighbor who had moved away. He chose our home as his new residence. In his puppy ways, he was such a pest.
Each morning as I left the house for work, I experienced shock at the amount of garbage he had left all over the lawn. My expression of alarm was always, “You Potlicker! I’m gonna tan your hide!”
One morning in disgust, I chased him around the yard, throwing his trash at him. He must have thought I had gone crazy. This tactic certainly made an impression on him because from that day on, he ceased to drag stuff all over.
I fell in love with that darn dog. He became a loyal, close, friend and he loved to ride on my four wheeler with me. I asked my wife, “What do you think I should name him?” She said, “Name him Potlicker. That’s what you’ve always called him anyway.” So, Potlicker it was. His name brought smiles to many faces.
  
One cold, snowy, winter day, Potlicker came up missing. I looked everywhere for him to no avail. For over a week I searched for him, and called every neighbor in the community. No one had seen him. I felt devastated.
I sure missed my lovable ole dog. One night as I slept, I had a dream. In my dream, I saw Potlicker. It seemed he was caught in a fence about a quarter of a mile east of our house. I quickly woke up being excited that this dream might be true.
My excitement kept me from sleeping and I could hardly wait until daylight when I could hop on my four wheeler and check it out.
Morning finally came and I took off through the deep snow traveling to the place I had seen in my dream. Upon my arrival there, I was so disappointed. Potlicker was not there….”Why?  The dream was so real.”
I knelt down in the snow and expressed my disappointment to my Lord and felt His comfort. Having lost my resolve, I got back on my four wheeler and turned north along the fence line to return home.

There in the fence stood ole Potlicker, so happy to see me! I rushed to him with great speed. As I approached him, he jumped into my arms and we were so happy to be together again! Around his neck hung a steel cable snare that had been set by someone. I freed him from the snare and he jumped upon the four wheeler, anxious to go home.
When I returned home with Potlicker, my father met me at the door. I said “God must love Potlicker.” He replied, “God loves you.”
I am a blessed man.




No comments:

Post a Comment