Friday, September 13, 2013

My Mentor, My Moral Strength, My Mother

My Mentor, My Moral Strength,
My Mother
September 13, 2013

Mother has provided everything in my life that has to do with tender. I have my mother’s conscience and at times I’ve wished that it wasn’t so. Any offence I may have committed, no matter how big or how small, harrowed up my soul. My most often used lament was, “Why Mother, are you doing this to me?”


She had such a commitment to living a good, honorable, and pursuit of right over wrong life. She instilled those values into her children’s souls. We knew when we were treading on dangerous ground. Our hearts and consciences told us so. I never wanted to act in a way that she wouldn’t approve of. If for some reason I got out of line and she was forced to scold me, my heart would ache until I slept that night. By the next morning, everything was good again and I went about life happy once more.
When I was a teenager, I felt that my mother had cursed me with that tender feeling of conscience. As I grew older and more mature, I understood that those feelings were a blessing to me. I found that I could use those feelings as a compass to guide my life for good. I learned that if I, without thinking, offended someone, those feelings would tap on my soul and reminded me that maybe an apology was in order. What a great blessing from my mom!
My mother had so many great values that I admired. Her life was filled with hardships and sorrow. Many sad, heartbreaking events tried to bring her down, but she fought back and became stronger each time.
Three of my sisters died in tragic deaths. The first died of food poisoning. On this occasion, several others in the family became very ill. The second died in a car accident along with three children. The third died at the hands of a gunman after she was abducted from a store where she worked.
These tragedies along with many other heart rendering experiences should have shook her from her foundation. Her strong faith and her never ending campaign for good kept bringing her back from heartache and despair. The example of my parents hanging on together strengthened my resolve to be like them.
My life would have surely been different without my mother’s guiding hand. ” Mom, I hope I will always feel that tender, uncomfortable feeling that you planted in my heart. If I should stray from the direction that you taught me…may I receive your tender reminder with thanksgiving. Thanks, Mom, for always being with me.”
Thank you for reading as I go to places in my life through my blog that have shaped and molded me into who I am. It has proven to be therapeutic and life affirming. I truly appreciate all who take the time to read my stories.


No comments:

Post a Comment