Monday, August 26, 2013

Responsibility to Give Back

Responsibility to give back
August 26, 2013

I feel that any success we may gain in life is usually accomplished on the shoulders of someone who has gone before us. I have to be very humble when I speak of my success.
I realize and appreciate those who have paved the way before me. I remember the great desire I had when I was young to be a heavy equipment operator. I just loved to be around big machinery.
The awesome power of the huge engines accelerating and the black smoke exploding skyward, made my adrenalin flow. My problem was… how would I get to sit in the seat?
I remember one early morning traveling to my job, I noticed a lot of dust coming down the graveled road toward me. I could see that someone was in a big hurry so I pulled to the side of the road to let them pass by.
As the vehicle came closer, I recognized the traveler to be someone I knew. When he saw me, he stopped and announced that he had just quit his job. He was angry with his boss and complained how hard it was to work for him.
Here was my opportunity! He had just quit a job that I would give my right arm for.Instead of driving straight to my work, I stopped by to see if there was any chance that I could fill this newly opened position.
As I approached this mean, contemptuous boss, I was shaking in my boots. I said, “Sir, I understand your operator just quit.” He said, ” Yes, he did.” I told him that I would like to apply for his job.
He asked me if I could operate a bulldozer  and I told him that I had never run one. Then he asked me if I could operate a road grader and I told him that I had never had any experience operating a road grader, however I would like to learn.
For a long period of time, he looked down at his feet as he moved the sand back and forth with the toe of his boot. After what seemed like an hour to me, he said, “Be here at 6:30 in the morning.”
I excitedly shook his hand and thanked him and I vowed that he would never be sorry. I’m sure the next four days he could have been very sorry. I wasn’t much of an operator, but he stood by me.
That man taught me how to take care of the equipment and how to operate every piece of equipment on the job. He was mean and he was tough, but he gave me a chance. When he was finished with me, I knew the right way to operate equipment.
A special reward came to me on the last day of the job. He came to me…this mean, cantankerous,man came to me, shook my hand and said, “Son, you have done well. You are a fine operator.”

I’ll never forget that moment, or that man who gave me a chance and stuck by me through thick and thin. ” My hat is off to you, Buck Rose. Thank you”.
This good opportunity that was given to me has made me prone to give this same opportunity to other young men who have a desire to learn.

I enjoy setting them upon the seat of a piece of equipment and watching their pride swell within them, always remembering my first chance. I treasure the memories of so many young men and our working relationship. Great memories!
Today as I start down a new and foreign path, I have already found new mentors that are taking me under their wings and teaching me the ropes and I hope to be able to do the same once again in this new endeavor.



No comments:

Post a Comment