Friday, October 11, 2013

Angel Sister

Angel Sister
October 11, 2013

Freda, One of God’s Chosen Ones
Quite often life’s journeys put us in touch with individuals who I’m sure have been given their earthly assignment to serve others. I have had the opportunity to have associated with some such good people. Their attitudes are quite different from most folks. It seems they find their greatest joy in making others happy. This concept is rather foreign to my thinking. I would like to have some of those tendencies and be more alert to other’s needs. Most often I’m beyond the opportunity before I take notice and can only wonder what might have been.
I respect and admire those who have conquered their selfishness and have become selfless in every aspect. Maybe I can receive a little forgiveness if I shine a little light on someone who would never want to be noticed in their service. I’m only making this attempt because I respect her so much and am so grateful for her constant vigilance in caring for our family.
This sweet person is my wife’s sister, Freda. We have spent almost two years worrying about her health. We were shocked to learn that she was diagnosed  with leukemia, and it has been such a heart rendering time for our family. This just can’t be happening to our sweet Freda! She has always been so strong and energetic, always on the move and aware of everyone’s needs. Even though we live nearly 2000 miles apart, she found a way in her service to shorten the distance.

Early on, Freda and Gail began exchanging gifts at Christmas time. For the first few years, it seemed to be a pretty even exchange. Freda and Ken had three boys and we had three boys. Our fourth baby was a little girl and from then on, it wasn’t so fair anymore. Freda was a beautiful seamstress and she enjoyed sewing cute little girlie things. We had four more little girls and Freda’s load got pretty heavy each year at Christmas time when she would make a beautiful dress for Gail and each of our five daughters. Gail had it easy, as Freda’s family was complete after having her three boys. The dressmaking continued for a few years until I said, “Enough!” I’m sure she must have been sewing for 365 days each year.
This example is just one of many selfless projects that Freda had going on simultaneously. There was an older couple, George and Ocie, her neighbors, who lived down the hollow road, that she cared for as if they were her own mom and dad. She cared for their every need and made sure they had groceries and everything they needed. She thought the world of them and they loved her.
Freda brought her aunt Bett, who had alzheimer’s  disease, into her home and faithfully cared for her for years. She was always grateful for that opportunity to care for her Aunt Bett who had been such a kind and giving person herself. Freda always remembered and talked about all the things that Aunt Bett had done for her when she was growing up.
Each time we had the opportunity to visit Freda, I came away totally amazed at the heart and strength she manifested. I thought, “Oh, if I could only be like her!” What a great example she has always been.
After the long siege of medication and chemo, we received hope. We were overjoyed at her recovery. Our many prayers were answered.
This summer, my wife Gail, and her sister Debbie, traveled to West Virginia to visit their sister, Freda. They had such a great time, three sisters together. I would have liked to have been with them, but I was told that this trip was just for the girls. I’m so glad they had that time together.
Again we have received bad news. After a short season of the leukemia being in remission, it is back. Her advice to us is that we are not going to be sad. We are going to celebrate the good times. We are going to find joy in the time we have left. This is the time to prepare and we must leave the rest up to our Lord.
Freda, do you mind if I feel bad a little bit? I have a hard time consoling myself. I don’t want you to ever have pain and suffering. You have taken a lot of pain from our lives. I realize the battle is not over. You have not begun to fight.

know the angels are heralding her life’s work. I know that Heavenly Father is smiling down upon her. He loves her as we love her.
May God bless you in your fight for life is our prayer.
For those of you visiting my blog, please show your support by leaving a comment and sharing this post. I know that Cancer affects so many people’s lives and just want to rally support for all who feel its devastating affects.


No comments:

Post a Comment