Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Natural Disasters Make Good Neighbors

Natural Disasters Make Good Neighbors
October 29, 2013

Heifers for South Dakota
My brother, Guy, must look a lot like me. (Poor guy). We have been mistaken for one another for years. I keep telling everyone that I’m the good looking one. This mistaken identity has caused a lot of laughs. Several years ago my brother served as county commissioner. Occasionally, I was stopped by county citizens and complained to about the county streets and roads. Each time I was forced to throw my hands in the air and say “Whoa, you have the wrong person.” However when he is involved in some noteworthy cause, I’m happy to sit back and get his pats on my back. We have had a lot of fun with this confusion.
Last week as I was going about my business, I was inundated with several folks expressing their appreciation for the great act I had supposedly done. I wish that it had been me. I was happy to learn that my brother had performed a great act of kindness. I am proud of him for being so thoughtful and humane.
Several weeks ago a huge blizzard blasted the state of South Dakota. That storm caused unbelievable damage. I’ve seen estimates of hundreds of thousands of cows being killed from the devastation of that terrible storm. Many of the ranchers were put out of business. Nearly all of their animals have been destroyed!
Guy, having felt the pain of their losses, had gone on social media and offered to give a young heifer cow to the cause and had challenged all the farmers and ranchers to do the same. The hearts of many have been touched and the word has spread throughout the western states. Many have rallied to the cause. Farmers and ranchers have donated cattle. Truckers have provided transportation. Businesses  have provided fuel. Individuals have given money. This great movement has been heart rendering. The passion and goodness of people has been amazing.

I’ve always known that I live among wonderful people. They have empathy for those who have lost their life’s work in just a few days .We invite anyone who would like to participate in this endeavor to help the families in South Dakota to get in touch with those listed below.

No comments:

Post a Comment