Sunday, December 29, 2013

It's the Small Acts of Service that make the Difference!

It’s the small acts of service that make a world of difference
December 29, 2013

My story today has to be written. The lessons and blessings that came from this one insignificant event has been a treasure in my life time. You never know when you may be called upon to provide a simple act of service that would open funnels of life long, nonstop, amazing events that bless your life. 
It’s very important that I present this experience to the best of my ability. Justice needs to be served because it is a window to a friendship that had to be initially formed in heaven. I am so grateful that time, event, and opportunity came together that day. 
In the fall of 1976, I awoke to a gorgeous day, you know one of those days when there is not a cloud in the sky and the temperature is not too hot or too cold. Everything was good. I was moving about my busy schedule just feeling good.
My work involved installing underground telephone cable with a small backhoe. As I moved up the highway from one project to another, I came upon a pickup truck parked at the side of the road. Thinking that the driver may be having trouble, I stopped and asked him if he needed any help. Our conversation lead to his story.
He had contracted to bore the holes for the road crossings, enabling the telephone cable to cross under. His backhoe operator was unable to come to work because of a personal tragedy. His infant son was very ill. I asked the driver if I might could dig his trenches for him. He was happy for the help. We spent the day digging his bore trenches at each road crossing. When we had finished, he asked me if he could pay me for my time, but my feelings for his backhoe operator’s situation just wouldn’t allow me to take any money. You know how you feel when you have an opportunity to help…I just felt good and said, “Give the money to your backhoe operator,” and I drove away with joy as my reward.
About a week later, I was driving my backhoe up the highway when I heard the sound of a horn honking behind me. I looked back to see someone waving their arms to stop me. That was the first day that I met Ken Richens.He was the operator who had been unable to come to work. 
iMac HD:Users:User1:Desktop:540x293_20131230_2c69d0239353c01289e6fa431586dee7_jpg.jpg

Ken introduced himself and then asked me if I had been the one who had completed his trenches. He was so grateful that someone he had never met had shown such compassion. He told me that his little son, by then, had passed away.
My small offering of just a few hours, has returned dividends of hundreds upon hundreds of hours of friendship, of work projects, of service to others, and of raising our families together.

This great man has been monumental in my life. I know I can count on him, and he knows he can count on me. So you see, small acts of service can produce relationships that are more precious than gold, and I have become the recipient of that.
 If my story has been of value to you, would you please like and repost it?


Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment