Sunday, January 26, 2014

My 50 Year Love Story

My 50 Year Love Story
Fifty years with the same guy hasn’t been easy on her. Our lives have been so busy. At the present time, our union has produced 8 children and 37 grandchildren. That is just about a population explosion of its own. I’m constantly amazed at how she has stood up under the load.

Our start at establishing our family institution was quite unconventional to society’s standards. We met and became acquainted while I was serving a mission for my church. I could see the good person that she was and I may have had the thought that she would make someone a good wife. I was even struck by her kind and thoughtful ways. We never shared our thoughts and feelings with one another. We went our different ways and lived our different lives. Time moved on. I continued serving my mission and she did whatever girls do.

Eventually, I received a phone call from one of our mutual friends informing me of her grandmother’s passing. I knew her grandmother to be a sweet, caring person and she was Gail’s only means of support. She had lived her life with her grandmother. I was saddened to hear of her situation. I called to extend my sympathy and later sent her a card.  The card….that’s what did
it! She returned her “thank you” in a short letter and informed me that she would be moving to Huntington, WV. and that’s when our correspondence began.


In less than two months, I had completed my mission and returned to my home in Utah. As soon as I could come up with a bus ticket, we sealed the deal with me sending her the money for transportation to Utah. Memories are foggy about the truth of where I secured the money. At least one brother accused me of borrowing it from him. I’m sure he feels I never paid it back. I may have to give him one of my kids.
Gail came to Utah on her 18th birthday and we were married one week later. I owe her so much , as she has given her all to our union. Someday soon, I intend on taking her on a date. (That’s my joke and I tell it often). Seriously, I feel overwhelmed at the faith she has placed in my hands. It was hard to imagine in my wildest dreams, that a pretty girl like her would catch a bus in West Virginia and travel those many miles away from home to Utah to be with me. The only thing I could offer her was my heart. I had nothing of material value. I had to pinch myself…”Is this real or is it a dream?”


Many times since the, times have been tough, but we pulled through them together.  As I have observed her in action, I marvel to this day at her unconditional love. She loves everyone, right down to the smallest creature. One of my favorite stories of her is when
she was little and  she heard a mouse trap snap at her grandma’s house, she hopped out of bed and released the mouse.

What a special part of my life Gail is. She truly is a helpmate through and through. So…for 50 years, we’ve held hands through thick and thin. I’m looking forward to the next fifty.
As the old saying goes, “You don’t change horses in the middle of the river”.




No comments:

Post a Comment