Sunday, January 5, 2014

A Recipe for Disaster? Turns out it was a recipe for HAPPINESS!

A Recipe for Disaster?  Turns out it was a recipe for HAPPINESS!

She lived in the East. He lived in the West. She was raised in the city. He grew up in the country. She loved small indoor animals. He loved large outdoor animals. She was stunningly pretty. He was definitely plain. She spoke with sophistication and poise.  He totally slaughtered the language. She thought he was perfect. He knew her to be kind with unconditional love. She found out he wasn’t perfect. He found out she couldn’t cook. 

With so many differences, we figured we shouldn’t stir the pot any more than we had to.There’s a possibility that there may be even more reasons why we shouldn’t get married.
The one thing we had in common was we both believed in God and we loved our Lord, Jesus Christ. We knew that if we lived His plan and followed His example, there was nothing we couldn’t overcome.
I’m sure she wasn’t always that excited about making her home in the country. However, her kindness and love ruled, and made him one of the happiest men in the world.
I take my hat off to her. She found a way to make it work. Her tender heart softened many awkward situations. For example, I love to hunt deer and rabbits. She loved deer and rabbits. After a few hunting trips and coming home and finding her feeling sad, I lost all desire to hunt. She just has a way of touching my soul and she makes me a better man. I know I have a long way to go to be in complete compliance, but I’m working on it.
I appreciate her never ending love. I don’t deserve her but I’m glad she got me anyway.
I look back over the 51 years that we’ve been together and memories are as a movie of two people coming together. We were so happy to have one another and we lived with the vibrancy of youth. 

Time marched on and children came to share our lives. We found that our closeness of sitting on a pickup seat, became a thing of the past. As each child came, the distance on the seat became even greater. Her love has always made up the difference. 

I find myself today, nearly fifty one years later, wondering how she could always give so much of herself. She had moved nearly 2000 miles away from her hometown, leaving her family and friends and coming to a strange, primative, unforgiving environment, leaving the luxury of downtown with paved streets and shopping areas nearby, to come to dirt roads and the nearest shopping thirty five miles away.
She arrived on a bus on her birthday, January 19th, 1963, and we were married one week later on January 26th.  To this day, I am honored that she believed in me. What a girl !
Our children have all grown up and have children of their own. Her fountain of love is extended to each one in massive proportions. Our family includes 8 children and 36 grandchildren to date. She even found time to sponsor a foreign exchange student from Japan who is still included in her circle of love.
The love we shared back then has matured and taken on an element of great respect that has no bounds. We hold to our faith in Jesus Christ and know that we couldn’t be to this point without Him…and she can cook!
I’m so grateful for her. Certainly there is no one who could have made me happier. In many ways, we have become one in purpose. I can’t stand for her to feel pain. My desire is to help her to have true joy as we help each other down the path of old age.
Thank you, Sweetheart. You amaze me. Love ya!


No comments:

Post a Comment